Europe by Rail
Whether you are making a long grand tour or just planning a couple of weekend breaks, Europe by Rail is the guide favoured by many travellers. The book is the perfect partner for the European Rail Timetable. It is shaped around 50 key routes which span mainland Europe. Each route can be followed in its entirety or used as a building block in a longer itinerary. Beyond the main routes, there are pointers to branch lines and less frequented railways.
Written by two highly experienced travellers, the book contains useful tips about how to plan your journey, what tickets to buy and where to stop off along the way. There are special sections for holders of rail passes, including Interrail and Eurail, as well as information on night and cruise trains. The country guide summarizes key information about travelling by train through each of the 48 countries listed. Apart from being full of good advice and up-to-date information, the book is also a good read. With its nicely opinionated style and lots of cameo accounts of travel history, there’s plenty here for armchair travellers too.
New for this 15th edition of Europe by Rail:
- Enhanced coverage of the Balkan and Baltic regions
- New routes to Sweden, Russia, Greece and Bulgaria
- Updated for 2018 rail timetables
- Enlarged to include introductions to each region
- UNESCO World Heritage rail routes
- High-speed routes for those in a hurry
- Slow diversions for those who like to dawdle
- Classic Alpine journeys
- Night trains update
- Better route maps